Episode 7 – Chaos Daemon Codex Review
In this episode we talk about the new 8th edition Chaos Daemon Codex. We give a brief overview and thoughts on the codex as a whole. This was our first re-recording that we had to do since the Twitch live stream had such bad audio quality. Andy had to miss the re-recording, but I wanted to get this episode out as soon as possible even after the re-record.
Tips and Tricks
Products that Adam Mentioned
Board Game – Pandemic Legacy Season 2
Andy and I both are working on our 40k Budget Army builds. We have started to clean the models. Adam started to strip paint for the #40kbudgetarmy contest.
Chaos Daemons Codex
- Army Wide Rules
- Daemonic – Daemons get 5++
- Khorne – +1 Strength and Attacks for charging or being charged
- Tzeentch – Add +1 to invulnerable saves
- Nurgle – 5+ Ignore wound
- Slannesh – Units fight first
- Characters models only
- Character model gives up movement for the turn.
- Up to 3D6, add together and has to be greater than PL of summoned unit.
- 1CP +1 Invulnerable save, but cannot re-roll saves
- 2CP Bring back unit destroyed by Grey Knights unit.
- Deepstrike: 1 CP for 8 PL and below, 2 Cp for 9 PL
- Chaos God Stratagems
- Khone – 3CP Unit can fight again, 2CP Character can re-roll hit rolls 6″ bubble
- Nurgle – 2CP Regain D3 wounds or slain model, 2CP re-roll FnP rolls of 1 6″ bubble
- Tzeentch – 1CP Cast another spell, 2CP 6″ bubble re-roll failed psychic tests
- Slaanesh – 1CP 3″ bubble -1 A to enemy units, 1CP Icon upgrade 1 use to re-roll hits
- Slaanesh Warlord Traits
- 3″ To M
- Reroll fail hit and wound against Char.
- If warlord charges, add D3 to Attacks until end of ensuing fight phases. (roll D3 after charge)
- Each time you make a wound roll of 6+ in fight phase. Suffers an additional MW.
- Add 1 to warlord Attack characteristics.
- Enemy model -1 attack (min 1) within 6″ of your warlord. Does not affect vehicles.
- Khorne Warlord Traits
- Each time an enemy unit fails morale within 8″ of your warlord, that unit loses 1 additional model.
- Add 1 to warlord Attack characteristics, if there are more enemy models within 8″ of it than friendly models.
- 6+++ FnP. if you pass the 6+++ FnP, you can reroll all failed hits and wounds until end of your next turn.
- +1 warlord Strength
- Each time ur warlord fights, can make a single attack instead of normal cc attack. Make a single hit roll, if successful, target suffers D3MW.
- Reroll hits of 1 for friendly Khorne Daemon units that charged this turn and are within 8″ of your Warlord when they fight
- Add 1 to result of 1st psychic test taken by your warlord.
- reduce all dmg by 1 (min1 to warlord)
- reroll failed morale test for friendly tz daemons within 9 of warlord.
- add 6″ to range of first psychic power casted by warlord
- roll d6, 2+ ignore perils of warp.
- Reroll wounds rolls of 1 by tzeentch daemons for shooting phase, within 9″ of warlord.
- +1 Wound
- Each time warlord lose Wound in fight phase. 4+ , unit that caused that wound to the warlord , suffers a MW.
- Your opponent must subtract -1 from all hit roll that target warlord if attacking unit within 7″
- Add 1 to all wound roll made by warlord in the fight phase unless target vehicle.
- Warlord got a 4+ save.
- Roll a dice for each enemy within 1″ of warlord at start of your turn. On a 4+, that unit suffers a MW
- Every chaos god has at least 1 weapon replacement and some other artifacts that align pretty well with the fluff.
- Tzeentch – Psychic Powers
- WC8 – 12″ range hits 3″ adjacent units causing D3 mortal wounds
- WC5 – 18″ range to add 1 to any wound rolls
- Nurgle – Psychic Powers
- WC5 – Regain D3 lost wounds
- WV6 – 18″ bubble -1 to hits rools for enemy models
- WC8 – 18″ range, unit can fight as if fight phase if within 1″ enemy model
- WC6 – 18″ range, roll D6 for each model, Mortal wound for each 6+
I think overall this is a good codex, especially when you look at the fluff side of things. I think that all of the information in the codex might be a bit overwhelming for new players to 40k because it is basically 4 small codexes in one. I think that slaanesh drew the short stick not getting a greater daemon and just some of their abilities don’t seem as good as others.
Be sure to enter for the Monthly Giveaways. You do not want to miss out on winning free stuff!
Questions, comments? Leave them below, we’d like to hear from you.